Monday, January 17, 2011

The Storyteller.

I adore stories. When I was a little girl, my dad would read fabulous stories to me every night. Somehow I think these stories helped to develop my passion for all things creative.

We read stories to our kids just about every night, but every now and then you gotta pop in a show on TV to buy yourself some time.  These days, I'm kinda disappointed for my girls and what's left of storytelling, particularly in kids' film and TV. Movies for youngsters are so loud, fast and annoying. It's no wonder why so many kiddos have attention deficit disorder. We, as a society, are absolutely blaring in our taste.

However, I have stumbled upon a wonderful series of the past called "The Storyteller".  It was an American/British co-production which originally aired in 1988 and was created by the fabulous Jim Henson and developed by Anthony Minghella.

You gotta check it out. 
The images are wild and the storytelling is superb. 
Perfect for the kid in all of us.




It doesn't get much better than curling up on the sofa with your kid and enjoy explaining an old European folktale or Greek mythology. And it certainly beats the heck out of being the victim of a loud, green space alien guinea pig that plays an electric guitar. 

PS: Some may be a little scary or advanced for the average 5 year old, but most episodes certainly peak their interest. (But heck, I heard all kinds of Brothers Grimm fairy tales when I was little and it was fun to be scared!)

No comments:

Post a Comment